CPT 307 Data Structures & Algorithms: Week 5 - Interactive Assignment

 



For this course we have been going over data structures and algorithmic designs.  For people who are new to this concept when applying data algorithms and data structures the easiest way to think about it is to determine what is going to be the most efficient way to retrieving the data you are looking for.

 

When looking at data structures and algorithms I don’t necessarily think there are some structures and algorithms that are better than others but depending on the situation it will be more efficient to use one over the other.  A specific example would be the determination of what kind of search algorithm should be used and if a sort algorithm would be appropriate.  With the advancements and speed of computers if we have a small data set there is no need to sort data that we are going to be using if it is a small sample that is going to be used in a limited capacity.  For this kind of situation I would use a linear search algorithm that is just going to quickly go through each piece of data and find the result we are looking for.  If I had a large data set or had intentions of searching through the data many times I may want  to consider using a sort algorithm to put the data in order and the use a binary search pattern to be able to do it quickly.

 

For future programs I may want to develop I have found that the proper use of algorithms and data structures can significantly speed up a programs operating speed.  One technique that stands out specifically to me is utilizing recursion algorithms instead of loops when trying to resolve problems.  I have used loops for most of the different programming problems I have resolved and I find as data sets get larger and larger loops take longer and longer to resolve.  This creates a resource intensive program, where a recursion statement seems like it would be much quicker and not require as many resources to resolve.

Comments